The FBI paid less than $ 1 million to the technique used to release the iPhone used by one of the shooters of San Bernardino – less than the $ figure Agency chief 1.3 million initially said the cost of the hack, several government sources US officials said on Thursday.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation will be able to use the technique to unlock other models with iOS iPhone 5C 9 – phone specifications shooter – without additional payment to the contractor, these people added.
FBI Director James Comey last week, said the agency paid more to enter the iPhone is going to do in the seven years and four remaining months he has in his work, suggesting that the hack will cost more than $ 1, 3 billion, based on their annual salary.
The Department of Justice opened the iPhone in March with the help of the contractor after Apple Inc did not want to omit encryption features of the device could undermine security reasons for all users.
The FBI, not the contractor, has physical possession of the mechanism used to open the phone but no details on how it works, said one source.
The identity of the contractor is so close-within FBI Comey does not know who he is, one of the sources have said.
The FBI is still examining the contents of the iPhone with the hope that it will help fill gaps in research last December that killed 14 people and wounded 22, two sources of the US government.
Researchers are studying whether Rizwan Syed Farook marksmen and his wife Tashfeen Malik, had associated or conspirators, sources said.
The FBI are also trying to understand what they were doing shooters in a space of 18 minutes in a timeline researchers have gathered track their movements on the day of the shootings, the sources said.
An FBI spokesman had no comment.